Close all other programs (recommended) before installing Cerberus FTP Server and make sure that you install it logged in as Administrator or a member of the Administrators group if you are installing it on a Windows Server system.
- Download the latest version of Cerberus FTP Server from our downloads page.
- Double-click or run the CerberusInstall64.exe self-extracting installer. If you are prompted that an “Unidentified Program wants to access your computer” click “Yes”. Clicking “Yes” will give the Cerberus FTP Server Installer Administrator privileges to install (required on most operating systems).
- You will see the “Welcome to the Cerberus FTP Server Setup” screen. Click Next.
Select which service account credentials option you wish to use.
The installer offers three service account options during first-time installation:
- Standard Cerberus Account
This option creates a new, unprivileged local computer account named ‘Cerberus’ and configures the Cerberus FTP Server service to run as this user. You’ll be prompted to create a password for this account.
- Existing Local Account
For security purposes, some administrators choose to run services as specific local accounts. This option allows you to configure the service to run with these local computer accounts.
- Existing Domain Account
Likewise, Windows Domain environments may require that specific accounts be used. This account may, for instance, be granted access to the domain directory.
When username, password, or domain is required, the installer requests this information:
When setting a new password for the account, the ‘Validate’ button checks the username and password and alerts you if the user can’t be found or if the password is incorrect. Both Local Computer and Domain credentials can be validated, however validating domain credentials requires that the installer be run by a domain user:
- Click Next after choosing the service account option and setting credentials if necessary. Click Next.
- Agree to the licensing agreement to continue. Select the “I agree” button and click Next.
- Select an installation folder. Or keep the default path. Click Next.
- Confirm your settings and click Next to complete the install.
- Click Finish.
For a more detailed walk-through of the installation and setup process, check out our setup tutorial.
Please sign in to leave a comment.